Saturday, December 4, 2010

Pounding Asphalt


Or Not. With the recent influx of freezing cold temperatures I have deemed it necessary to ride my bike indoors. I did some shopping around for a decent and affordable indoor trainer and ended up finding a perfect MagTrainer at Dick's. Though the sun still shines during the day, the cold air and wind is just unbearable on the bike. I set up the trainer and conveniently placed my bike directly in front of the window so I could watch the world go by, or just the people. I pounded the peddles for an hour this morning while watching the happenings of 22 St., New Hampshire Ave. and L St. NW. Absolutely nothing interesting happened. This ride was phase 1 of my brick workout, normally I would ride for about 2 hours but the trainer seems to be a bit more exhausting then the street! I followed the ride with about a 6 mile run around DC. It didn't seem to cold for the run, until I was along the River and the wind coming across it was chilly! So at the end of the day I was able to pound some asphalt during the run, which felt great!

As the winter season moves in, I've had to start thinking about adjusting my training. I was able to take some much needed relaxation and restoration time while I was at home during Thanksgiving. I didn't choose this at first, but my body did, I was sick the entire time I was home. I was able to run in the Detroit Turkey Trot 10k on Thanksgiving morning, and PR in it! I was down and out for the count after that though, no voice or energy on Friday! I've resumed day to day workouts since I've been back but I am realizing they have to altered. The first alteration was, of course, the addition of the indoor cycle trainer, which I love. I've also had to shorten my "long run" from about 10.5 to 8 miles, because it just gets so darn dark out so early! Though at first I was disappointed that I had to make these adjustments I've come to realize that this is an opportunity to rest the body and the mind as well as increase the intensity if I must shorten the workouts. Scheduled rest is just as important as scheduled workouts to allow your muscles to repair and adapt to the stresses you put them through. I can easily forget this sometimes, but alas life has a way of reminding me.

I will be racing in the Jingle All the Way 10k here in DC next Sunday. I am pretty excited as I have quite a few friends running in the race as well! Races such as this is not as much a race as it is a chance to come together with friends and celebrate the holiday season in a health promoting way. This will be a great way to finish off the 2010 racing calendar! I hope to start 2011 with the New Year's Resolution Run in LO on 1/1/11! The racing calendar for next year just sits with The Nation's Triathlon on it so far. I am looking to add in a Half-marathon, Half-Ironman, and enter the Cherry Blossom 10-miler lottery soon. The rest will be filled with Olympic and Sprint distance triathlons in preparation for the Half-Ironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment