Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Year to Look Forward To: 2012 ATP

I've spent the past couple months training and putting together the Annual Training plan for 2012.  I've battled <40 weather at Skyline and out to Great Falls on the bike with some great people from DC Tri, I've attended race planning and Ironman forums and have had the opporunity to pick brains and ask all the questions I've come up with about Ironman.   I've developed a plan and committed myself to be willing and open to changing it.

Last year I began going through The Triathlete's Training Bible by Joel Friel over Christmas and loosely based this past season off of the training tactics in The Training Bible.  As my friends like to remind me "life happened" (Ride of Silence) this year and my training plan for Augusta 70.3 didn't go exactly as planned.  I truly enjoyed the experience competing in a 70.3 (and had a decent result) event and learned tons to help guide me and prepare me for the upcoming 2012 season.

Do you write out a training plan or just do what you can throughout the season?

As I prepared my 2012 Annual Training Plan I re-read The Training Bible and also read Joel Friel's book Going the Distance.  I went through my Excel spreadsheet of all my workouts since September 2010 and used that information to estimate annual training hours.  I plotted out training hours week-by-week leading up until August 26, 2012 making sure to include base periods, recovery periods, build periods, and of course peak periods.  My training plan builds to 29.5 hours during my biggest week.  This is a lot - but to achieve something you've never had you must be willing to do something you've never done.

I've set lofty goals for 2012 and beyond, I'm committing myself to live like a champion, train like a champion, recover like a champion, and eat like a champion.  Within the middle of the plan lies graduation in May, another move (most likely back to DC), and the beginning of a great and promising career as a Doctor of Physical Therapy.  I am confident that these life events will help me manage my time, motivate me to complete my workouts as planned, and rest when my body needs it.

The plan "officially" begins January 2nd leading to a 1/2 Ironman distance race in May followed by recovery and the build to Louisville :).  I've been watching the 2011 Ford Ironman Championships all too much and loving every second of it.  Below is the beginning of my 2012 race schedule.

2012 Race Schedule
March 18, 2012 - Publix Atlanta 1/2 Marathon
April 14, 2012 - Belews Lake International Triathlon
May 12, 2012 - Kinetic Half
June 17, 2012 - Washington DC Triathlon (Olympic Distance)
August 18, 2012 - Age Group National Championships (Undecided)
August 26, 2012 - Ironman Louisville


What is 2012 shaping up to look like for you?


I am looking to add a 1/2 Ironman possibly at the end of September, 1 or 2 more Olympic Distance events, or possibly another Ironman ;)

Summit of Wilson Mountain in Sedona, AZ (7122 ft.)
I've enjoyed some wonderful leisure time over the holidays including a trip to Sedona, AZ to reset the mind and body.  It was exactly what was needed after 2 stressful weeks of schools, finals, and packing/moving all my "stuff" into storage.  I am now enjoying quality time in Michigan with my family and friends and enjoying some winter training.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome girl, so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks well though out and totally manageable. I look forward to reading about your progress all year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is tempting: http://www.tucsonracing.com/havasu_information.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Holli,

    Thanks for the info you've been posting! This year, I want to move from a sprint to Olympic distance for the Big Fish Tri on 6-10-12. Do you have any recommendations for a web site that provides printable training schedules ? It's time to formulate a plan.....

    Take care,
    Gary Marriott

    ReplyDelete