Thursday, June 7, 2012

IM Training Camp - It Will Get Done

In Mid-July I will trek out to the Denver area to take part in the Courage Classic to benefit Children's Hospital Colorado.  The Courage Classic is a 3 day ride in which I will cover 200 + miles with more than 10,000 ft in elevation gain.  The route takes us through Leadville, Frisco, Vail, Breckenridge, Keystone, and Copper Mountain to name a few of the highlights.  I've been saying I want to go to Colorado in the summer since Winter of 2008 when I went to Keystone and Breckenridge.  I'll be riding with Team Hard't to Beat which includes several friends from DC Tri.  The Courage Classic is a ride to give hope to children whose diagnoses cross every pediatric specialty at Children's of Colorado.  Some of these children will ride along with us, some will provide encouragement and support along the route, and all will provide hope and courage as they fight on.   To find out more about the ride or to make an individual donation to my ride please visit my Donation Page by clicking here.  In lieu of much of a registration fee every rider must fundraise for Children's Hospital Colorado, any and all donations are greatly appreciated and welcome.

I was on the fence about this outing for a couple of weeks.  One day thinking it would be great training for IM Louisville and the next day being a nervous wreck that it might destroy everything I have and will being working so hard toward.  I took strolling opinions and thoughts from past IM racers and filed them away in the mind.  All the while I knew what I really needed to do was talk to the coach from PTS Sports. He has been a great asset to have in my back pocket - training ideas, mental coaching, OWS practice in GA, indoor trainer sessions and just a complete wealth of knowledge and personal experience.  I explained the situation to him - the ride, my mentality, etc and knew that if he said go for it I would be headed to CO.  His opinion was no doubt, go and do it.  It will be great IM training, especially if I use it as a training camp.  So the plan - make one day a brick workout, find a pool and swim, get a 10+ mile run in at elevation, and don't lose sight of the goal.  The best IM races he's had are the one's where he was able to go train in the mountains.  I'm all in and I'm super excited to get back out to gorgeous Colorado.

Another reason for this trip - every PT I worked with said take a vacation before starting work.  I was content and  determined to focus on  Ironman over the summer and forego a trip to Europe or Hawaii.  This trip gives me the chance to get out, train, and have a great time before starting that full time job of mine at Professional Sports Care and Rehabilitation.

2 comments:

  1. You are one awesome person and I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this ride is going to be so much fun! And I don't think it's going to undue any of your training.

    I skipped my trip to Europe as well to train :(

    ReplyDelete